Project of the year

February 9, 2016

Hi! I'm Nicole

Fearless DIY. Sharing building project tutorials and interior design tips. Let’s build something beautiful together. For more projects, design tips and behind the scenes, follow me @designtobuild.nicole

More About Me



One area down, ten to go….on the main floor. As I mentioned before, I have been wanting to change out our trim to craftsman trim for quite awhile now. Last year I actually ripped the trim off one of the doors, only to then go into a panic attack realizing how much work was truly involved in this. I ended up putting the original trim right back up and walking away from it for a year.

But after changing all the trim in Ty and Grayson’s room to craftsman, I thought how hard could it truly be? I can do this!! And so I did! And I am!!

What’s keeping me from a panic attack this time?? I have a plan….I “plan” on completing one area each month. With ten areas on the main floor, I should be done by the end of this year….with the main floor. 🙂

So, for the month of January, I completed the foyer. I started by tearing off all the trim. I talk more in-depth about this in this post.


I had a helper throughout this project…love it when my kids show an interest in building. And Ty really enjoys helping me out with this kind of work.


Then I moved my workshop inside…the garage was just way too cold. I painted all my boards. Going from this…


1×6 pine for the baseboards. To this….


I used Behr super white paint and gave each board 2 coats. And then a third coat after putting them up and filling in nail holes. Here’s a look at the baseboards now…



I love the chunkiness of this. The picture doesn’t do it justice.

For the doorframe, I put my side boards up first…


I used 1×5’s for my doorways.

I did things a little differently this time from how I did the boys’ room. I built the door topper first and then installed it on top of my side boards. Here’s the topper after I built it…


Kind of hard to see. Sorry. 🙁

Here it is installed on top of the side boards…



These were taken before I did all my caulking and one more coat of paint. 🙂

I love how the front door turned out. I will say, I was pretty nervous about this one. Not a big fan of heights and ladders. But it really wasn’t too bad and I survived. 🙂


Sorry about this picture. Unfortunately, it was a pretty gloomy day out and I couldn’t get a good shot without the light on. And obviously, even with the light on.

That light is going away too. I have my eye on a different one at a local store that sells Restoration Hardware type items for NOT Restoration Hardware type prices. 🙂

This picture is a little better…



Here’s a link to the post where I talked a lot more in depth about installing craftsman trim.

Next week, I’ll show you what I did to the wall to the right of the front door. I absolutely LOVE it!!

As always, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. I would love to help wherever I can.



Read more posts like this one…

From Boring Pantry to a DIY Butler’s Pantry Makeover

From Boring Pantry to a DIY Butler’s Pantry Makeover

From boring pantry to DIY butler's pantry. I have wanted to make this drastic change for the longest time now. At the start of this year, I tackled my biggest room remodel yet! My kitchen! So, of course, making my dreams come true of a bona fide butler's pantry, was a...

The 5 Benefits of LVP Flooring Inspiring My Kitchen Reno

The 5 Benefits of LVP Flooring Inspiring My Kitchen Reno

LVP FLOORING Over time I have been transitioning my home from modern farmhouse to more of a midcentury modern, scandi style. The last room to follow suit on our main floor was our kitchen. Knowing this is such a monumental undertaking, I was hesitant to tackle this...