I have long been a fan of mid century modern design. A popular style that has been around for decades. It continues to captivate and inspire homeowners and interior designers alike.With its clean lines and bold colors, there’s something about its design elements that just makes a space feel right.
Mid-century modern style is all about sleek lines, natural hues, and a minimalist vibe. Inspired by the legendary Bauhaus movement in Europe, it first emerged in the 1940s and 50s. Its main focus was on making simple yet beautifully designed furniture with a timeless look. With its geometric lines, natural colors and materials, it’s still a popular choice today, for anyone who wants to add a touch of classic style to their home.
What is Mid-Century Modern?
Mid-Century Modern design is an interior design style characterized by geometric forms, natural colors and materials, and minimal ornamentation.
There is a strong connection between Minimalist Modern, Midcentury and Scandinavian Design. All of them are heavily influenced by their key element of simplicity and high functionality.
This minimalist look is still reflected in today’s Mid-Century style inspired interiors.
This revolutionary style was believed to bring a sense of openness to the home, utilizing organic shapes and simple lines to create an atmosphere that was both visually pleasing and inviting to many.
Over the years, it has become an iconic look for many homes across the world thanks to its clean lines, neutral color palette, and practical furnishings.
Today, it’s still being used as a source of inspiration for modern interior design trends!
“Over the years, it has become an iconic look for many homes across the world thanks to its clean lines,”
History of Mid-Century Modern
This chic style has been gaining in popularity for years now, and it’s easy to see why!
From its stylish, streamlined furniture complemented by warm, inviting colors to its approach of simplicity and comfort, it captures the spirit of a past era in a modern way.
This style of design is rooted in the middle of the 20th century. European style as well as American architecture from the 1940s and 50s birthed this era.
Its main focus was on making simple, yet beautifully designed, furniture pieces that had a timeless look.
This blend of modern and classic makes it timeless but unique, forward-thinking, and on-trend!
Inspired by the great minds of world-renowned architects, artists and designers such as, Frank Lloyd Wright, George Nelson, Eero Saarinen, and Ray Eames, among others. Mid-Century Modern interior design has become a firm favorite of many people who love its simplicity yet sophistication.
Made up of sleek and clean lines that feature natural materials like wood and linen, and pops of vibrant colors here and there – this style quickly gained momentum in households around the world, where people love its aesthetic charm even today!
“This blend of modern and classic makes it timeless but unique, forward-thinking and on-trend!”
Why should I choose Mid Century Design?
This timeless style can bring a modern twist to your home while also allowing it to blend in seamlessly with any existing decor.
Whether you’re looking to update your whole home or just add a few modern touches here and there, Mid-Century Modern is always a great option.
Its overstated simplicity works in any space!
This timeless style brings a sense of balance to any room and looks particularly striking when combined with bold colors and unique textures.
From a traditional living room to an on-trend contemporary kitchen, designing with this method can make sure that your home looks chic and timeless!
So now that we have an understanding of what Mid-Century design is and why we should experiment with this iconic style, let’s find out how to use it when styling our home.
“This timeless style brings a sense of balance to any room and looks particularly striking when combined with bold colors and unique textures.”
How to get this design look
Adding Mid-Century Modern style to your home is an easy and affordable way to update a space or create a fresh new look.
The good news is, you don’t have to replace all of your existing furniture, just find surprisingly simple ways to incorporate some elements of the classic design into your home!
Try adding a few small details like large potted plants, art featuring bold colors and geometric shapes, and stylish, but functional furniture with clean lines.
The best part is that, when it comes to accessorizing in this style, there are no rules – you can go all out for a full room makeover, or just add hints for a more subtle feel.
Having fun experimenting with these timeless pieces and designs will add charm and personality to any room!
So if you’re looking to incorporate this style into your home, here are some tips for getting the look:
- Choose furniture with clean lines and minimalistic shapes: Mid-Century modern furniture design typically features sleek curves and geometric elements. Look for pieces like bar stools, armchairs, coffee tables, and sofas with these distinctive shapes.
- Embrace vibrant colors: Midcentury modern style often features bold pops of color such as mustard yellow and burnt orange. These can be used together or mixed with more neutral tones to create a vibrant, yet balanced look.
- Incorporate natural materials: Natural materials, like wood and stone, are essential in Mid Century style. Wood furniture is usually stained in dark hues such as walnut or espresso, while natural stone or ceramic pieces can add texture to the room. Bringing in these natural elements, is sure to bring warmth to the space.
- Add statement lighting: Lighting is key in any room design and Mid Century style usually features statement fixtures such as pendant lights or chandeliers with exposed bulbs. Look for bold shapes and colorful finishes to add interest and character to the space. Of course, nothing beats natural light. Take down any heavy curtains and let the light shine in.
- Balance modern pieces with vintage finds: The key to achieving the perfect Mid Century look is to combine modern pieces with vintage finds from flea markets or antique stores. Look for items with classic lines and simple shapes, and mix them with contemporary furniture to create a unique and stylish look.
- Display artwork: Artwork is a great way to inject color into the space. Look for canvas prints or sculptures with bold geometric patterns that reflect the era’s design aesthetic.
- Where to shop: Crate & Barrel, Lulu and Georgia, Arhaus and West Elm. Another one of my favorite go to’s for mid-century modern decor and furniture is the McGee and Co line through Target. So good!!
Is this style for you?
Let me know in the comments below, if this style is for you.
With my best tips you can easily recreate a timeless Mid Century look in your own home!
Just remember to focus on clean lines, simple shapes, organic materials, and bold artwork to complete the look.
With a little effort, you can create a unique space that is both retro and modern.
If you love this design, where will you start incorporating it? Living room, dining room, or your overall home design.
Let your imagination be your guide and you’re sure to have a space that will stand the test of time!
For more design style tips, hints and DIY expertise be sure to check back regularly to my weekly updated blog.
Let’s go beyond the design to build something beautiful together!
Be sure to Pin This Post to your Pinterest Board for later…
For more great content, be sure to sign up below for my weekly newsletter.